Selection Process and Registration Forms for 2018 IVF World Sprints are now available!

The selection criteria and registration forms for the 2018 World Outrigger Sprints in Tahiti are now available to view and download HERE.

Deadline for registration is September 23, 2017. Team Canada selection trials to be held September 30 – October 1, 2017 in Calgary at the Calgary Canoe Club.

16 thoughts to “Selection Process and Registration Forms for 2018 IVF World Sprints are now available!”

  1. Hugh Fisher June 10, 2017 at 9:19 am

    I am disappointed that our potential Tahiti bound paddlers are once again being forced into travelling to Calgary to take part in the selection process for the Worlds. A brief review of the current registrants suggests that all or almost all currently registered paddlers are from coastal or near coastal BC. Despite Jim Farintosh’s wonderful story no Ontario paddlers appear to be interested and I do not see as of yesterday any paddlers registered with Calgary, Alberta or prairie canoe clubs. Could we not make this process much more efficient in terms of cost, time, boat transport by using a coastal BC flat water course such as Burnaby, Whonnock, Elk Lake, Nanaimo. I know travel to Calgary was a deal breaker for me last time around and I am sure other Outrigger paddlers from BC where the vast majority of Canadian outrigger paddlers are based look at an end of September weekend in Calgary as expensive (probably $1000.00 + with air travel! hotel, and food) and daunting given you probably need to skip work on Friday if you drive. I can appreciate running this event in Calgary is probably easier for the selectors but this is about fairly selecting paddlers willing to commit to Tahiti. Maybe I am speaking out of turn but if most of the rest of you feel the same please contact Linda and/or Leanne and make your voice heard.

  2. Lynda Roberts June 13, 2017 at 6:39 am

    Hi everyone, If there is a group in the Vancouver area that wants to take on running trials (with a fair course and the equipment) feel free to get in touch with me. I’m open to it. We all know running trials is a lot of work and we are only trying to help.
    A few comments from Hugh’s post though to clarify. Although the CCC volunteers have been a huge help putting on the trials going back to 2008 this is the first time the trials are being held in Calgary.
    There was some concern about the weed conditions and the course for our last trials at Burnaby hence looking at Calgary for one of the reasons. Our course is in great shape in the fall. I won’t guarantee the weather but we know we’ve had some pretty rainy and cool days at previous trials in BC. CCC can offer the V1’s, C Lions, and Bradley’s for the V6 trials as we expect more Club crews to attend for Tahiti. We also planned on having some fun races using our new unlimited canoes so teams had a chance to try them out. The Tahitian race boat is more similar to an unlimited canoe than our regular spec boats. Yes, it will be more expensive for Vancouver area paddlers to travel to Calgary. All the paddlers outside of Vancouver are very familiar with the cost of competing at CORA events. Does this mean we don’t allow a Club such as CCC to host a CORA event ? I sure hope not.
    And finally, the CORA site had some issues and a lot of intent to compete registrants are missing. The communication people are working in it and we’ll be in touch if we need people to re register.

    1. Hugh Fisher June 17, 2017 at 5:59 pm

      Well folks, this looks like the balls in our court. THanks Linda for agreeing to allow us to put on a trials in coastal BC. Anyone interested in helping please call me 604-894-5684 or email

  3. Hugh Fisher June 21, 2017 at 1:18 pm

    HI Everyone. I am currently looking for a lower mainland venue and date. Probably Burnaby Lake. Preliminary approvals have been given by Lynda which would eventually cancel the Calgary event. Probably trials only required in V1 and OC1 to get ranking. I am looking at an end of August date likely at Bby Lake. If you feel strongly about thiseither for or against, or want to help out please keep me posted as we move forward. Lynda concerned some of you might already made end of September plans for Calgary you cannot change.

  4. Milligan Sue June 23, 2017 at 8:36 pm

    Wherever the IVF trials wind up, there are a number of potential Tahiti bound paddlers going to Queen Lili at the end of August, so in all fairness the date needs to be after the September 9-10 weekend.

  5. Alicia June 27, 2017 at 9:55 am

    Hi, can I get more information of the trials that might happen in BC? I am interested

  6. Hugh Fisher June 27, 2017 at 6:46 pm

    My informal poll of potential Tahiti bound paddlers racing in Dboat this past weekend indicated 100% support for this initiative. I am working on a date at BBY Lake. We can get pretty much any date at this point on any weekend from the end of August until the end of September. Later is better for weeds. Please do contact me regarding preference as Sue Milligan has done. Remember I will also ask you do a seated paddling erg test after you V1 and OC1 tests. THat way we may be able validate a paddling erg as a selection tool for all star crews so future selection can be done anywhere anytime in the country. The format will be a 500 meter time control in lane 1. I envision working through age and gender groups from U16 up as required by number of entries with a start every minute. Keep checking this site for more info.

    1. Jenna Darcie June 28, 2017 at 1:04 am

      I may not be the only registrant who has made plans based on the date specified on the race link (Sept. 30-Oct. 1). Just a consideration.

    2. Tamas Mihalyi July 7, 2017 at 8:39 pm

      I like the idea to have the time trial in BC in the future.
      Are you seriously wanna to do selection trials on ergometer for V-1 ??? Why you wanna to change the race format of the the time trials from 6 lanes race to 1 lane ?
      The time trial format should be as close as possible to the World Sprint race format.
      Racing against the time or racing each other is a huge different. From my of view just taking the fun away.
      By the way it would be great heaving the race closest but first of all it should be fair and should be fun for all of us.

  7. Sue Milligan June 28, 2017 at 1:48 pm

    Well, the original date in Calgary of Sept. 30th took into consideration the Queen Lili and the Women’s Molokai which many competitive Canadian paddlers go to, and others have planned their training for the Trials around that date. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to organize this event, and Thank you Hugh Fisher for taking it on and considering others input.

    1. Sharon June 30, 2017 at 2:18 pm

      Is the proposed new format eliminating the club crew trials?

  8. Pennie McNutt June 30, 2017 at 8:14 pm

    Very excited to see that the venue may be moved for the TT. Thank you Hugh Fisher for taking on this task and wonderful that the other big race dates have been considered when deciding when to have it.

  9. Derek Schrotter July 1, 2017 at 12:10 pm

    Coming from Toronto
    Will wait to see what date is selected for BC trials
    Thanks to everyone who gives their time to make things happen in either/both venues!!

  10. Emmy MORRIS September 3, 2017 at 12:36 pm

    So where and when are the time trials..?
    I want to register.

  11. Leanne September 7, 2017 at 12:08 pm

    Hi Emmy,
    Trials are in Calgary Sept 30/Oct1 weekend.
    Fill out the intent to compete form (link has expired)

    Then I recommend sending and email to so that you can get the official registration form and info.

    1. David Helliwell September 9, 2017 at 3:41 pm

      Do we really still have to go to Calgary? The thread above looked promising. I’m now at Whonnock Lake for the Pacific Cup and it would be perfect for 500m trials. I would also be happy to share some of the money I’d save by not going to Calgary to subsidize racers coming from further away.

      Also, just in case it may be helpful for logistics next year, I have a va’a (5yr old Va’a Factory) that I keep in Moorea from when we lived there in 2016.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.