Dear CORA club commodores, directors and race directors,
In preparation for CORA’s race sanctioning process for the 2024 race year, we are inviting all CORA clubs to submit their proposed race dates and race formats no later than Friday, November 17th, 2023.
For 2022 CORA-sanctioned races, CORA will be implementing the following selection and sanctioning process:
- November 17th, 2023 – Preliminary deadline for submission of proposed race details and date at the following link: CLICK HERE. Once you’ve completed this, your tentative race date will be uploaded to the CORA website race calendar (CLICK HERE) and marked as “unconfirmed.” All submissions at this stage are proposals and will be treated equally. There is no guarantee that you will receive your requested race date and all race dates are to be considered movable.
- Late November 2023 – The CORA Race Committee will have identified any conflicts between requested dates and contact the club contacts so they may come to an amicable resolution among themselves (i.e. revised proposals). Conflicts may include the proposals for the same date or, in the case of CORA Cup races, insufficient separation between races in the CORA Cup series.
- November 26th, 2023 – CORA Technical Meeting and AGM. Final approval of 2024 CORA Race Calendar.
Guidelines for applicants:
- Starting in 2024, clubs are restricted to three (3) race submissions per race year.
- To minimize conflicts, clubs are encouraged to review other race submissions at the new CORA website race calendar at the above link before making your race submissions to be aware of potential conflicts with other race applications.
- Clubs are encouraged to list alternate dates for their proposed race in the space provided on the submission form ranked by preference (i.e. 1st choice, 2nd choice). The CORA board will consider these alternate dates in resolving conflicts. The submission of an alternate date means that you will accept the alternate date, if chosen by the CORA board, without further consultation with you.
- In some cases, the CORA board may, in its discretion, allow two races on the same day if it is unlikely they would impact each other (i.e. races in different regions, or different format or boat class).
- Race proposals received prior to November 17th, 2023 (including those received prior to this notice) will have equal priority over proposals received at a later date.
- All submissions received after November 17th, 2023 will be required to accommodate previously submitted races. The ultimate deadline for 2024 races will be April 30, 2024.
The CORA board, along with paddlers across Canada, look forward to a great year of racing in 2024. Race organizers and race-hosting clubs form a vital part of our sport, past, present and future.
Board of Directors,
Canadian Outrigger Racing Association